If you have oily skin, as I do, then this article is for you. I have been dealing with oily face and sensitive skin for a long time, so I get it! Trying to find a new foundation that fits our needs can be tricky.
Wearing a foundation for me is like wearing shoes to go outside. That’s why for me it’s key that I use the right one. One that not only smooths and evens out my epidermis but also protects it during the day from environmental damages.
I mention this because there is a myth that foundations can cause acne. The truth of the matter is, it only does so if you’re using the wrong one. Foundation can be of great benefit for your type of skin.
Before applying any type of foundation I recommend applying a primer that fits with your skin type (mattifying, smoothing, hydrating). This will help your skin diminish shine, smooth out the surface and stay hydrated throughout the day.
- What foundation should I use if I have oily skin?
- Best Liquid Foundations for Oily Skin
- 1. Bobbi Brown Skin Long Wear Weightless Foundation SPF 15
- 2. Becca Ultimate Coverage 24 Hour Foundation
- 3. Sisley Phyto-Teint Ultra Éclat Foundation
- 4. Lancôme Teint Idole Ultra Long Wear Foundation
- 5. Urban Decay Naked Skin Weightless Liquid Foundation
- 6. It Cosmetics Your Skin but Better CC+ Oil Free Matte Formula
- 7. Giorgio Armani Beauty Power Long Wear Foundation
- 8. MakeUp For Ever Matte Velvet Skin Foundation
- 9. Estée Lauder Double Wear Foundation
- 10. Ilia True Skin Serum Foundation
- Best Foundation Sticks for Oily Skin
- Best Powder Foundations for Oily Skin
What foundation should I use if I have oily skin?
If you have oily skin and are looking for a new foundation, the two most important thing to keep in mind is choosing a non-comedogenic and oil-free foundation. These will absorb excess oil, smooth out your skin, and won’t cause any breakouts. They will blend perfectly onto your epidermis and will last long enough making you comfortable throughout the day.
If you have oily + sensitive skin that means some ingredients can easily irritate your epidermis. Try choosing mineral makeup that is free from chemicals and harmful ingredients.
Depending on your personal preference, you can pick from a liquid, cream, or powder foundation. Here is our selection of the best foundations for oily skin from which you will be able to choose. Also, if you want to learn more about how to apply foundations go to — How to apply foundation
Best Liquid Foundations for Oily Skin
- Bobbi Brown Skin Long Wear Weightless Foundation SPF15
- Becca Ultimate Coverage 24 Hour Foundation
- Sisley Phyto-Teint Ultra Éclat Foundation
- Lancôme Teint Idole Ultra Long Wear Foundation
- Urban Decay Naked Skin Weightless Liquid Foundation
- It Cosmetics Your Skin but Better CC+ Oil Free Matte Formula 7. Giorgio Armani Beauty Power Long Wear Foundation
- MakeUp For Ever mat Velvet + Matifying Foundation
- Estee Lauder Double Wear
- Ilia True Skin Serum Foundation
1. Bobbi Brown Skin Long Wear Weightless Foundation SPF 15
Perfect to build up and cover up blemishes with a matte finish. This foundation is 16-hour wear that doesn’t feel heavy and instead leaves you with smooth and fresh-looking skin. We love that it also has SPF to make sure you are protected from sun damage throughout the day.
2. Becca Ultimate Coverage 24 Hour Foundation
This full-coverage, non-comedogenic, and water-resistant foundation comes in a variety of 42 shades making it super easy for everyone to find their exact color. You will be able to cover blemishes, discolorations, and still have a natural-looking epidermis.
3. Sisley Phyto-Teint Ultra Éclat Foundation
Great for someone who is looking for a velvety finish and who tends to be very oily throughout the day. This foundation has medium coverage but is buildable and as a plus, the buckwheat seed extract that its formula contains, acts as an anti-pollution shield that will keep your epidermis protected while you are wearing it.
4. Lancôme Teint Idole Ultra Long Wear Foundation
It has a velvety-matte finish that lasts for up to 24 hours. It’s infused with perlite and silica that help smooth out your skin and absorb oil keeping it shine-free. There are 45 different shades, so you will find yours amongst their range.
5. Urban Decay Naked Skin Weightless Liquid Foundation
We love it because it goes on super easy and it evens out skin tones perfectly. It has a semi-matte finish that makes the perfect balance so your epidermis doesn’t look too matte or too dewy, it will look on point. Its formula was made using Matrixyl 3000 which is a wrinkle-reducing ingredient that helps create a very smooth and radiant look.
6. It Cosmetics Your Skin but Better CC+ Oil Free Matte Formula
It’s packed with hydrating ingredients that help nourish your skin. It has SPF 50, its formula is color correcting and anti-aging while providing full coverage. You’ll end up looking radiant and natural! We needed to include this cream in our top foundation list because it’s definitely full coverage and helps you achieve the same results.
7. Giorgio Armani Beauty Power Long Wear Foundation
If you prefer matte over dewy then this foundation will work for you. This is a full coverage foundation that will control oils throughout the day leaving your skin velvety, smooth, and natural without cracking or dulling.
8. MakeUp For Ever Matte Velvet Skin Foundation
A 24 hr long foundation, that will diminish shine throughout the day. It is a full coverage foundation that will blend perfectly onto your epidermis, smoothing out blemishes and pores. This will keep your skin looking on point for a longer period.
9. Estée Lauder Double Wear Foundation
A medium to full coverage that comes in a variety of 55 shades which makes it easy for literally everyone to find their right color. This is a perfectly blendable and buildable foundation that will feel light on the skin but will last for 24hr long without having to touch up that much during the day and/or night. It will control oil throughout the day and works great in hot and humid weather.
10. Ilia True Skin Serum Foundation
For those of you who are into clean beauty brands, you are going to love this foundation. It is lightweight but can be buildable and thanks to its great ingredients such as aloe leaf, jojoba, and marula oils it also works great to soothe irritations and redness. It also helps to reduce the appearance of fine lines and minimizes pores leaving the skin looking smooth, plumped, and luminous.
Best Foundation Sticks for Oily Skin
- BareMinerals Complexion Rescue Stick Foundation
- Nars Velvet Matte Stick Foundation
- MakeUp Forever Ultra HD Invisible Cover Stick Foundation
- Bobbi Brown Multitasking Skin Foundation Stick
- Anastasia Beverly Hills Cream Stick Foundation
1. BareMinerals Complexion Rescue Stick Foundation
This is a water-based foundation with medium coverage that feels light on the skin. Works great for someone with a sensitive epidermis. It’s super easy to re-apply during the day without getting cakey or feeling heavy.
2. Nars Velvet Matte Stick Foundation
This one has a lot of exciting pros! A big one is its long-term benefits for your skin thanks to its ingredients (ginger root, vitamin A, C, and E) which work wonders as antioxidants protecting your skin from pollution and sun damage. This foundation will help smooth and even out skin marks and/or pores while also providing hydration for hours. Its finish is soft on the skin and very comfortable.
3. MakeUp Forever Ultra HD Invisible Cover Stick Foundation
It works great as a second skin type for someone who needs to cover up blemishes or/and skin marks while also providing a natural finish. Recommended for someone who loves a more dewy skin.
4. Bobbi Brown Multitasking Skin Foundation Stick
This weightless foundation is designed to correct and even out skin undertones. it blends perfectly and controls oil making it sweat and humidity-resistant. This foundation has emollients like olive extract and shea butter which also help to keep your epidermis hydrated during the day.
5. Anastasia Beverly Hills Cream Stick Foundation
Great lightweight and breathable formula that leaves the skin demi-matte and flawless throughout the day. Can be buildable and is ideal also for touch-ups or contouring purposes.
Best Powder Foundations for Oily Skin
- Maybelline Fit Me Matte + Poreless Powder
- L’Oreal Paris Infallible 24H Powder
- Bobbi Brown Skin Weightless Powder Foundation
- Charlotte Tilburry Airbrush Flawless Finish Setting Powder
- Alima Pure Mineral Powder
1. Maybelline Fit Me Matte + Poreless Powder
Full to medium coverage that blends perfectly with the epidermis and has a natural velvety finish.
2. L’Oreal Paris Infallible 24H Powder
A light to medium coverage powder that absorbs excess oil, it’s fragrance-free and is long lasting so you won’t need to re-apply several times a day. A good option for hot and humid weather.
3. Bobbi Brown Skin Weightless Powder Foundation
This easy to apply formula is lightweight will control oil preventing your epidermis from looking shiny and will leave your skin matte and smooth. You can use this one alone or with a liquid foundation for touch-ups during the day.
4. Charlotte Tilburry Airbrush Flawless Finish Setting Powder
Ultrafine setting powder that won’t look cakey or heavy on your skin. Perfect to reduce shine, keeping your skin flawless and nourished. Perfect for touch-ups.
5. Alima Pure Mineral Powder
A satin matte powder foundation that can be buildable and is a great option for anyone with epidermis sensitivities. It is hypoallergenic and free of fragrance, parabens, gluten, nuts, silicone, and sulfates.
Are stick foundations good for oily skin?
Stick foundations are a great option for anyone, with combination or oily skin, who is looking for extra coverage. This doesn’t mean that your skin will end up looking cakey or feeling heavy. Nowadays, the formulas are created to blend perfectly and leave the epidermis looking smooth, even, and natural.
Are powder foundations good for oily skin?
Powder foundations provide medium to full coverage and they are also a great option for oily skin. They are ultra-fine but highly pigmented which works well to absorb oil and smooth out the epidermis. They are usually made out of minerals or talc.
If you are someone who doesn’t like to feel any type of product on your epidermis and just wants to control shine, then consider choosing a powder foundation.